So after last year’s kerfuffle that was Fanexpo: Linecon, I decided that this year will be the deciding factor of if I will be returning to the con in years to come. For those who don’t know about what happened last year I’ll give a quick recap:
The con was disorganised and so they oversold tickets, this became a fire hazard and anyone who left the building to eat was trapped outside the con. I saw the line outside but was not informed what it was for, I then got trapped outside for two hours waiting for them to re-open the doors. Other people were trapped outside longer. There were no refunds, discounts, etc for this, which really upset people who came specifically for events that happened during that time. Sitting in the summer sun waiting to get back into a con you already paid for and were inside of, just because you unconveniently wanted lunch? Not cool.
Anyway this year they decided to do something about the unhappy patron’s complaints:
- They extended the con by a day so it started on Thursday.
- Tickets were available for pickup Wednesday
- There were seperate lines for buying passes and picking up passes, they usually had this but they were in different areas to make things easier. We literally had no line to wait in when picking up our advance passes
- They switched back to the larger building
- Wore Akira Kogami cosplay, comfy and not too warm but the tights got a run and I was stuck with them. There definitely could be a worse malfunction!
- Roads were fairly busy and the parking lot was nearly full, I was expecting a pretty long lineup because of this.
- Arrived and found there were helpful staff everywhere, including down the street from the convention center. We got directions on where to go and signs made it easy to find where we had to be.
- The advanced ticket line was empty, sweet!
- I enjoy the wristbands, they make it hard for some costumes but unlike last year where they put it on us we were able to put it on ourselves. I can slide my wrist out so when I wear taskmaster tomorrow I can slide it over the gloves.
- It was a bit of a walk from the tickets to the con, since the north building was where you picked up tickets and the south building had the con (which meant going upstairs, across a walkway, back downstairs, further downstairs, and then keep going down until you get to the basement level). It was a little weird to have it so far away from everything else.
- Dealers room was standard for fanexpo but interesting. It was lackluster compared to last year but it may improve for Saturday.
- There wasn’t really much for video gaming. There was a room for tabletop gaming which is awesome, and a retro gaming room which was nostalgia, but aside from that there wasn’t a dedicated freeplay / tournament area for people to plug in controllers and play fighting games (usually there is at least Smash Bros, but we were hoping for MVC or Street Fighter). There were demos of games (Halo, CoD, Uncharted, Assassin’s Creed) with large displays and a lot of “3D” stuff.
- Found and bought a starscream toy, f-yeah!
- Went to the Gaia panel and sort of won the balloon blowing contest, I blew up the balloon until it popped lol
- Weird situation with staff. While leaving there were dividers that prevented you from going any direction but up the escalator. Someone must have gone farther than they planned to and wanted to turn back. The down escalator (back in) was blocked by the dividers and so this guy slid underneath them so he could return. The security guard then yelled at him and made him go back under. This meant to go back to the con he would have to go up the escalator, then back down the other escalator and then around the base of the escalators to go back in. While I understand they are trying to maintain order, I think it would be better telling him off rather than making him go BACK under which was the problem, and then go out of his way to return.
I keep cooking and never get around to posting pictures, luckily I had my phone at the bbq and was able to grab some pics before it got devoured!
Mango Shrimp Kebobs:
These were my main contribution, I saw a picture with mango shrimp kebobs and wanted some all summer. I found this recipe which includes an amazing sauce that made these super tasty. My friend who doesn’t like shrimp even had a couple since the sauce changed the flavor. I am a huge fan of mango but I found the pineapple was better than the mango on the kebob, the mango was also hard to work with and slipped around I would skip the mango and add another piece of pineapple if I were to do these again.
Blue Cheese Burgers:
My friend Josh, the bbqer, came up with these based off something he saw on TV, where they made burgers by putting blue cheese between two patties. Well he changed it up a little, he mixed blue cheese crumble in with the generic homemade burger stuff. These were delicious, although very strongly flavored – if you aren’t a fan of the cheese you won’t like the burgers.
This was based on a triple layered chocolate pudding I saw in my Jello cookbook, but I just went in my own direction. The bottom layer is regular strawberry Jello. The next layer is strawberry Jello mixed with 2 cups of cool whip and chopped strawberries. Then I did a layer of Jello chocolate pudding, also mixed with cool whip! I topped it with a sliced strawberry, and a piece of chocolate.
How did I get star chocolate? I melted milk chocolate chips in the microwave. I stirred it up and poured it on some tinfoil (waxed paper would be better but I had none!). I let it sit in the fridge until it was cool and then I took a cookie cutter and peeled it off the tinfoil.
I have been neglectful of this blog! So here is a huge post with a bunch of little things.
Today I did a “what is your transformers name” test on facebook, I got Laser Claw. Obviously this is another casette to come out of soundwave to be friends with laserbeak, but what would Laser Claw be? I asked my facebook friends for the answer and was told it’s a rabid “lucky cat”. So here is me in transformed mode:
Last week was Kevin’ birthday and to celebrate I baked him a cake. It was originally going to be a Bartz cake since Bartz is his favorite final fantasy character, but he requested a Rainbow Dash cake last minute and I threw this together for him.
The cake was delicious! I didn’t have much time to bake so I used a packaged cake mix for vanilla cake. I chopped up some milk chocolate chips and threw them into the batter. Once cooked and cooled I cut the cake in half horizontally. I filled the center with a chocolate fudge frosting and some more chocolate chips. I replaced the top layer and let it cool in the fridge some more. Then I iced it with vanilla frosting, and decorated it. Did you know they have spray on food coloring? Best thing ever!
The reason I have been so busy lately, I joined World of Warcraft! I’m Iradecima, a affliction warlock on Wyrmrest Accord. 😀 Though I have also been working on cosplaytutorial.com, particularily working on the first newsletter which went out at the beginning of the month!
oh and if anyone was wondering, my cosplay for fanexpo is going to be the UDON version of the taskmaster!
Soooo anime north is getting close and I havn’t made a lot of progress, so I probably won’t be posting for a little bit. Just a quick update today!
cosplaytutorial.com got an update, I added the Yellow vs. Blonde wigs tutorial to the site! You can find it here:
I also finished kevin’s sword for his Bartz/Butz cosplay from FFV or FF Dissidia in the game sprite outfit 😀 The sword is cardboard and paper mache with a wood stick for support. The gem is glass that I bought from michaels and the tassle (kinda not visible) is from fabricland. Primed with modge podge, painted with acrylics and then another layer of modge podge for a glossy look that is also protective.
I actually did a lot of web work this week! First I updated the cosplay tutorial list and added some new graphics for the highlighted section.
But today I finished up the mockup for my portfolio website, I decided to take from magazines as my inspiration and focus on color and typography rather than graphics. Today I am building ou the basic frame for the site and hopefully I will get to adding in some content for now.
So lots has been going on lately. I finally got http://www.cosplaytutorial.com up! I’ve gotten a bunch of cosplay help emails which is nice to see, and while the traffic is lower than darkelements, it’s getting around 50 individual views a day which is pretty good! Woot!
I recently moved into my boyfriend’s house and now that I am settled in I can start working on stuff again. This week has been pretty busy with projects. I finally got a canvas to paint the picture I have had stuck in my head on. I wasn’t sure how the gradient would turn out since I was using gold with a matte red but I am really happy with the result.
I also am doing a prop for my friend, he and his girlfriend are Thor fans and so I am making him a Mjolnir. I’ll post how I made it when I finish everything but here is an in-progress picture of where I am right now:
I’m working hard on the new cosplay tutorial list, I’m near the end of the current list and then I have to get up to date with twitter.com/cosplaytutorial @_@! It’s going to take a bit but once I have all the links gathered I can publish the site and people can visit the revised dark elements 😀 I’m excited! Once it’s up I will start building the database and move the tutorials over to that, which will hopefully (in time) allow for a search to be added. At the very least it will make it a lot easier for me to add new tutorials, it will keep them better organised, and make it easier to view them.
Here are some sneak peak screenshots, as you can see a lot of the site is completed! It’s mostly the tutorial list that is taking up my time 😛